Wednesday, July 21, 2010

some quick favorites



Everyone needs some go-to meals, and I have a few favorite sandwiches, salads, and other speedy dishes. These are guaranteed hunger-busters, and make you feel good to have eaten them. They are also, depending on which bread you use for the sandwiches, all vegan to boot!

BEST SANDWICH: On a grill, cook up two or three thin slices of eggplant. Using your choice of bread (I have found a vegan ciabatta that is awesome) layer eggplant, spinach, roasted red peppers, and sprouts. Slather the top piece of bread with kalamata olive spread or your favorite tapenade (pesto works as well, but make your own to avoid the Parmesan) and grill as you would grill a panini. I have a George Foreman counter-top grill, and use this first for the eggplant slices and then for the whole sandwich.

EASY VEGGIE SANDWICH: In a pita pocket, spread some hummus, and add thinly sliced cucumber, tomato, lettuce or spinach, and sprouts. Super easy and delish!

FAVORITE VEGGIE BURGER: I grill (again, on the George Foreman grill) a veggie burger. I like many different types, including spicy blackbean. The best brand I've come across is Morning Star Farms. I put a nicely grilled burger, cut in half, into a whole wheat or flax pita, add in spinach or herb salad mix, tomato, sprouts, and Nayonaise which is a vegan mayo alternative.
QUICK SUPPER SMASH: One of the simplest and quickest suppers ever - but I'll admit, no one else in my family will eat it as a "meal." In one pot, warm a can of black beans (rinsed and drained) until smash-able. In another pot, cook up some frozen corn or cut fresh off the cob and heat. Mix together the bean smash and the corn, add a little salt or fresh salsa and scoop up yummy spoonfuls! I like mine mixed with Sisters' Salsa from Blue Hill, ME. Nice and fresh with a great cilantro flavor.

MY FAVORITE SALAD RIGHT NOW: I have been buying the organic herb salad mix at my local grocery store. It has a nice mix of flavors including cilantro, which I personally love. I top a nice big bowl of these greens with pine nuts, shelled sunflower seeds (organic), craisins, some chunked cucumber, and either roasted red peppers or sundried tomatoes (dried and rehydrated is better than packed in oil). I top it with oil and vinegar, or a nice balsamic vinaigrette.


These are some of my daily dishes, and are good standbys when I don't feel like trying a new recipe or making up a new creation. Hope you enjoy too!

2 comments:

  1. I sadly have to admit that veggie burgers aren't all that bad to choke down if you have had plenty of alcohol to drink beforehand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to try them in college just to impress the chicks in the cafeteria...

    ReplyDelete