Friday, June 11, 2010

The first three days

So far, so good! Three days ago I decided to quit turkey cold turkey. Becoming vegetarian has, so far, meant very little change. Breakfast has required no revisions. I still get to have my coffee, my whole-grain waffle or muffin, and that's what I have done all along. Lunch is trickier. I am a teacher with very little time, so I eat school lunch. Trust me, at my school that's not as bad as it sounds! We have a great salad bar, so I've relied on that, and they also have some vegetarian options for our students. I don't think I can do PB&J every day, but between sandwiches and salads, and opting for hot lunch minus the meat, I will be okay. For example, on Tuesday, hot lunch was mashed potatoes, fruit, salad bar, and green beans - plus, for everyone else, chicken smothered in gravy on top of the potatoes. I simply opted for everything minus the chicken topping - no problem!

Dinner is where I will surely struggle the most. Cooking for a true carnivore will be a challenge as I try to opt out of meat myself. The first night I made pasta with a mixed veggie topping. We all enjoyed it, including my toddler. The second night was bean and corn burritos... we all ate them, but I am pretty sure "where's the beef?" was on my husband's mind. Tonight is crazy with graduation and so forth, so in fending for ourselves I am sure leftover pot roast from pre-veggie me will be what my husband opts for, and I'll be able to veg out.

I do have some cool options for the upcoming week - I found shredded vegetarian barbecued pork shreds for sandwiches as the non-meat option for me, so we'll have shredded pork sandwiches one night. I also have a tofu stir-fry planned, with the possible addition of meat for my husband - he's not a fan of tofu at all! This weekend I will see about making homemade falafel and we'll have burgers... at least, that's the plan.

I think I am starting with a big repertoire from my high school job cooking vegetarian, so that will help a lot. I am looking forward to the challenge, and think I am going to feel great inside and out!

No comments:

Post a Comment