Sunday, June 13, 2010

Tofu or not Tofu?

...That was the question. In high school I professed a deep and resounding hatred for all things tofu, but still cooked with it when required. Despite usually enjoying anything I had a hand in cooking, I avoided the miso soup (with tofu), the grilled vegetable stir-fry (with tofu), and various other dishes like they had some soy-based plague. Tofu, it seemed to me, was not really a food at all.

Now, roughly fifteen years later, as a reformed carnivore I considered tofu again as if for the first time. It has possibilities - rounding out a dish where you would have once added chicken, pork, beef, or shrimp, tofu instead? Maybe if I could get past the texture... could I get past the texture?

These thoughts were in mind as I prepared my first tofu dish of my thirties. Stir-fry veggies, brown rice, and (for me) tofu, or (for my husband and daughter) pork. I tasted as I cooked, and was pleased to note that the tofu took on a good texture when it fried, and absorbed enough soy and teriyaki to be flavorful. Tossed with the mixed veggies and brown rice, I am happy to say that the tofu experiment was great. Extra-firm pre-cubed works well for me, and perhaps it has come a long way since I was in high school, or perhaps I have matured to a point where I no longer hate certain items based on principle. Either way, dinner was good.

A side benefit? Although my husband declined my offer to share some of the tofu fry, my daughter gobbled up many a cube and pushed her pork aside. Hmmm.... next - tofu in soup? I think I can still honestly say I will never reach a point where to-furkey shows up on my Thanksgiving table, but that remains to be seen. Go tofu!

No comments:

Post a Comment